Toronto, Canada

International Students

Studying in Canada has become an attractive option for many international students. For those who are interested in studying in Canada, here are some things you need to know.

Designated Learning Institutions (DLI)

When choosing a post-secondary school, ensure that they have been given the status of Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Schools that are DLI have been given permission by the government to accept international students. You can inquire with the school of your interest or you can also check in Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You will need an acceptance letter from the school to apply for a study permit. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada.

Study Permit

A study permit is a document issued by IRCC that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions in Canada. There are specific conditions you must follow while studying in Canada under a study permit. You must:

  • always be enrolled at a DLI
  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

As noted above, you will need an acceptance letter from the school to apply for a study permit.

Working while Studying

It is possible to work while studying as a full-time student without a work permit. You may only work up to 20 hours per week and your study permit must indicate if you may accept employment on or off campus.

Spouse or Common-law partner

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit as long as you are a full-time student with a valid study permit.

Ask a licensed Immigration Consultant if you are interested in becoming an international student in Canada.